Many people are suffering from nail fungus infection. This fungus belongs with the dermatophytes group which infects keratin of both humans and animals.
Nail fungus is not harmful. However, it causes nails to change in color and to deform. When you see a yellowish strips under the nail or white strips on the nail surface it is because of fungus. Other signs of nail fungal infections are nail thickening, weakening and breaking of nails.
Severe cases of nail fungus can cause fungus infection to spread to the surrounding skin on fingers and toes. This often result to inflammation, irritation and redness of the fingers or toes. Severe cases are quite painful and have an unpleasant odor due to decays.
Early symptoms of nail fungus infection can be easily detected and immediate treatment is needed. Do not wait for the nails to start breaking off before treating them. It is easier to treat nail fungus infection while it is just starting rather than to wait for it to worsen.
Mild cases of nail fungus infection can be treated by home remedies. Ingredients that are commonly found at home are inexpensive, safe and very effective. Some of these remedies are:
1. Mouthwash – Mouthwash that is commonly used at home has antiseptic properties that can kill fungus. Mix one part of mouthwash with warm water and soak hands or feet for an hour. Mouthwash can also be applied directly on the infected area.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar – Just like mouthwash, vinegar has the ability to kill fungus. It can also be applied directly onto the infected area. However, some say that foot or hand soaks are more effective because vinegar can deeply penetrate under the nails.
3. Hydrogen Peroxide – Foot or hand baths with hydrogen peroxide is effective and cheap. Mix it with warm water and soak your feet or hands for at least 30 minutes.
4. Essential oils – oils such as vitamin E oil, lavender, jojoba, tea tree oil, clove and grape seed oil have an anti-fungal and antiseptic properties. These essential oils are very effective in treating nail fungus. Grape seed oil does not only treat the infection, it restores the damaged tissues as well.
5. Sesame and virgin coconut oil also contain anti-fungal properties that can be used to treat nail fungus.
6. Ginger tea – Ginger is not only known for its powerful anti-fungal properties but it is also known for its ability to eliminate odor. Dipping the infected nails into warm ginger tea twice a day would eliminate nail fungus within a few days.
7. Cornmeal – there is no scientific explanations on how cornmeal can effectively treat nail fungal infections. However, a lot of people who have tried this soak solution say it is very effective and has indeed treated their infection.
8. Vick’s Vapor Rub – This home remedy works effectively in treating nail fungus because of its active ingredient called thymol. Thymol is known to effective in eradicating molds, which is another type of fungus. Vick’s vapor rub is applied directly to the infected area every morning and evening.
9. Anti-fungal solutions – Over-the-counter anti-fungus solutions are safe to use at home. Choose products that contain all natural ingredients to make sure that they have no harmful side effects.
Nail fungus is very common and affects many people. Although mild cases of nail fungal infection are often not harmful, however, it should be treated immediately before it worsens.
Home remedies for nail fungal infections are very effective and inexpensive. They are considered as the safest way to treat nail fungus because they are all natural and they do not have chemicals that cause harmful side effects.
While home remedies are indeed effective, severe cases of nail fungal infections need immediate medical attention.